Fresno is home to many phlebotomy class providers with excellent reputations. We have researched and reviewed each of these providers based on their curriculum, cost, duration, schedule, prerequisites, certification, location, contact information, and reviews. By comparing these programs, you will be able to find the one that suits your needs and goals. This page will outline the best phlebotomy programs in Fresno, California, and help you make an informed decision about your future career.
As you start reviewing phlebotomy programs in Fresno, here are some key points to consider when evaluating phlebotomy programs:
- Accreditation: Ensure that the phlebotomy program you choose is accredited by a recognized accrediting body. Accreditation ensures that the program meets certain quality standards in other states and will provide you with the education and training you need.
- Curriculum: Review the curriculum of each program to make sure it covers the essential theoretical and practical aspects of phlebotomy. Look for programs that provide a balanced mix of classroom instruction and hands-on training.
- Faculty Expertise: Research the qualifications and experience of the faculty members who will be teaching the program. Experienced instructors can greatly enhance your learning experience.
- Hands-on Training: Practical experience is crucial in phlebotomy. Look for programs that offer ample opportunities for hands-on training, which may include practicing blood draws on mannequins and real patients.
- Class Size: Consider the class size. Smaller class sizes often provide more personalized attention and better opportunities for interaction with instructors.
- Job Placement Assistance: Programs that offer job placement assistance or internship opportunities can be highly beneficial for transitioning into the workforce after completing your training.
- Online vs. In-Person: Decide whether you prefer online or in-person classes. Online classes offer flexibility, while in-person classes provide direct interaction with instructors and peers.
- Free Programs: If you’re looking for free phlebotomy programs, research community colleges, vocational schools, or healthcare institutions that may offer subsidized or low-cost training options.
- Location: Consider the location of the program, especially if you’re attending in-person classes. Ensure it’s convenient for you to travel to the training site.
- Licensure and Certification: Check if the program prepares you for any required licensure or certification exams after completion.
Fresno City College
The Fresno City College Phlebotomy Program provides phlebotomy training for CPT-1 licensure, which is the highest level of certification for phlebotomists in California. Fresno City College exceeds state standards and provides a comprehensive education, including 48 hours of theory and 120 hours of clinical rotation. Students gain hands-on experience through at least 100 successful venipunctures, 25 skin punctures, and 2 arterial observations.
One thing to note is that the Fresno City College Phlebotomy Program is in high demand, so participants are chosen through a lottery system. To enter the lottery, students must attend a mandatory online orientation and register for it on the webpage. The program has some prerequisites that students must meet before enrolling, such as a background check, drug screen, immunizations, and a current CPR card.
The Fresno City College Phlebotomy Program offers two class schedules, both on Saturdays, and costs $2,995. This includes tuition, books, supplies, and fees. Students can pay in full or choose a payment plan option. The program does not offer online classes, as it requires hands-on practice and clinical rotation. However, the orientation is online.
While the program does not provide job placement assistance, it does prepare students for the national certification exam and the state licensure application. The program is located at the Fresno City College Training Institute in Fresno, CA, however many of the components can be completed through online classes.
The phlebotomy program at Fresno City College offers a comprehensive education and hands-on experience for students interested in becoming a phlebotomist. The program exceeds state standards and prepares students for certification and licensure. However, it is important to note that the program is in high demand and participants are chosen through a lottery system. Overall, this program is a great option for students looking to pursue a career in phlebotomy.
|Program Duration||168 hours total|
|Class Schedules||Saturdays, beginning September 30, 2023 or January 27, 2024|
|Prerequisites||Background check, drug screen, immunizations, current CPR card|
|Certification Eligibility||CPT-1 licensure approved by California Laboratory Field Services|
|Location||1101 East University Ave, Fresno, CA 93741|
|Job Placement||No job placement assistance provided|
Phlebotomy Pay in Fresno, CA
Phlebotomy salaries in Fresno, California, demonstrate an interesting comparison to both the national and state averages. Phlebotomists in Fresno earn an average hourly wage of $22.26, translating to an annual salary of approximately $46,300. This figure positions Fresno’s phlebotomy salaries higher than the national average, which stands at an hourly wage of $19.51 and an annual salary of $40,580.
Moreover, when comparing Fresno’s phlebotomy salaries to the state average in California, which boasts an hourly wage of $24.27 and an annual salary of $50,470, we can see that Fresno’s earnings, while slightly lower, are still competitive within the state.
These statistics suggest that pursuing a career in phlebotomy in Fresno can be financially rewarding when compared to the national average. While California as a whole offers higher salaries for phlebotomists, Fresno’s wages remain attractive and align well with the city’s cost of living. Aspiring phlebotomists in Fresno can expect to earn a respectable income in a growing and essential healthcare profession.
|# of Phlebotomists||Hourly Wage||Annual Salary|
|United States||135,500||$ 19.51||$ 40,580|
|California||13,870||$ 24.27||$ 50,470|
|Fresno||360||$ 22.26||$ 46,300|
How to Find Free Phlebotomy Training in Fresno
Free phlebotomy classes or financial aid options can significantly ease the path to your dream job. Here are some expert tips on how to secure the support you need to launch your healthcare journey:
- Explore Scholarships and Grants: Many institutions and organizations offer scholarships and grants specifically designed for aspiring phlebotomists. These financial awards can cover some or all of your training costs. Look for opportunities at local colleges, universities, and healthcare associations. Additionally, don’t forget to research national scholarships in the healthcare field.
- Financial Aid Programs: Federal and state financial aid programs, such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in the United States, can provide assistance based on your financial need. Completing the FAFSA can open doors to various forms of aid, including grants, work-study programs, and low-interest loans. Be sure to check the eligibility criteria for these programs.
- Contact Educational Providers: Reach out to schools or institutions offering phlebotomy programs directly. Inquire about any available scholarships, grants, or financial aid packages. Some educational providers may offer tuition assistance or discounted courses for students with financial constraints.
- Community Resources: Explore local community resources, workforce development programs, and non-profit organizations. They often collaborate with educational institutions to provide free or reduced-cost training in high-demand fields like phlebotomy. These programs aim to support individuals looking to enter the healthcare sector.
- Online Research: The internet is a treasure trove of information. Search online for free phlebotomy courses, scholarships, and financial aid opportunities. Many websites and forums share insights, success stories, and updated listings of scholarships tailored to healthcare careers.
By leveraging these strategies and being proactive in your search for financial aid or free phlebotomy classes, you can take significant steps toward achieving your healthcare career goals without the burden of overwhelming costs. Remember that dedication, perseverance, and thorough research can lead to valuable opportunities that will shape your future in the healthcare field.